We can’t deny the fact that almost all of us loves to eat chicken and cheese, not only because of its taste but also for its nutritional value which is a great asset for health and fitness enthusiasts. Cheese having its high calcium and vitamin B content is really one of the most common ingredients in several Italian dishes from their pasta to their pastries. You can also choose the healthiest among the different types of cheese to reduce amount of calories. On the other hand, chicken has this healthier kind of meat which is great for people who are inside a dietary plan. Chicken meat is one of the most nutritious kinds of meat not including its skin, which has high cholesterol content. What secludes chicken meat from other kids of meat is that chicken meat or white meat have a low fat content and is pretty much cheaper than red meat or pork meat. Now combining the two assets of chicken and cheese may be a great price to fill your cravings especially if you haven’t eaten meat for a whole week due to some dietary restrictions. Here is a recipe of Chicken Mozzarella for you to start with.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup Italian-style fine bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon dried whole basil, crushed
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 teaspoon dried whole oregano leaf, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese cheese
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce (or 1 cup marinara sauce), divided use
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided use
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- Dip chicken breasts in milk, shaking off excess. Dredge in bread crumbs.
- Place in a single layer on a large platter (or 2) and refrigerate for 30 minutes to set crust.
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 9 x 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with vegetable oil (see Note). Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce over the bottom of the dish and set the rest aside for later use.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan. Quickly brown each of the chicken breasts, turning only once. Use the second tablespoon of olive oil for the second batch.
- Arrange browned chicken in the bottom of the casserole dish, overlapping as little as possible.
- Spread remaining tomato sauce evenly over chicken, and then sprinkle with parsley, basil, crushed oregano leaf, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Finish with the mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is heated through and cheese is bubbly and slightly golden. Let chicken mozzarella rest 5 minutes before serving
Now you have your own way to try these cheesy chicken combination, but don’t forget to be aware of how many servings have you eaten as this recipe still have a lot of fats and sugars in it, so be weary!!