Chicken is classified as one healthy white meat. It is actually less in cholesterol as compared to pork. The healthiest part of chicken is the breast which is pure white meat. As long as it is roasted to perfection, you care sure to love the juiciness of the meat plus the potatoes and butternut squash. Try this recipe for a simple or special family gathering and you’ll sure to win the heart of your family or your guest not just for the taste but to the nutrients it contains. Good to serve for lunch or dinner or perhaps anytime you feel like eating it.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) roasting chicken
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
How to make:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and sage in a small bowl. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Rub garlic mixture under loosened skin. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Place rack in broiler pan.
- Combine potatoes, squash, butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange vegetable mixture around chicken. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165°. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin since it is high in cholesterol.
For an affordable wine to pair with this dish, pick a dry Riesling from Washington state, like Chateau Ste. Michelle’s 2007 (Columbia Valley; $9). It has peach and orange flavors that create a tempting aromatic package with the sweet flavors of Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Butternut Squash.
Worried about the price? This recipe is good to make four servings and per serving is estimated to cost for only around $1.62 depending on how much you buy the ingredients, reasonable enough to a delicious meal like this. You can also increase the serving size by decreasing the serving size to adjust to your budget. wondering about the nutrients? Per serving of this meal can give you 399 calories, 12.1 grams fat, 43.8 grams protein, 25.9 grams carbohydrates, 3.4 fiber, 147 mg cholesterol, 3.5 mg iron, 791 sodium, and 77 mg calcium.
You can make this recipe even healthier by replacing some ingredients with other healthier stuff. You can actually replace butter with olive or canola oil which is rich in healthy cholesterol than butter. You can also reduce the amount of salt to reduce the sodium content of your meal. You can also try replacing potatoes with sweet potatoes or other vegetables you think will do great with roasted chicken. You can even try mixed vegetables to increase the vitamin and mineral content of your meal. Vegetables are perfect complementary of meat to balance out the protein with other nutrients your body also needs. Now try it and enjoy!