I am a big fan of burgers though beef is the one that can give you that mouth watering delicious taste, chicken is categorized among the healthy meat especially the breast part which contains whole white meat. Still, buying chicken burger in fast food chains could be risky since you really cannot say if it is really pure chicken meat. At the same time, the cooking method can increase the caloric content of your burger which is not good for your diet. So, I strongly believe that making your own chicken burger will ensure you to achieve optimum amount of nutrients your body really need. Plus, you can also add or alter other stuff to increase the nutritional value of your meal.
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the patties:
- 4 x 170g chicken breast fillets, cut into thirds lengthways
- 600ml buttermilk
- Sunflower oil, to deep-fry
- 2 cups (300g) plain flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup (100g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 6 white bread rolls, split
- Salad leaves, to serve (optional)
- 1 telegraph cucumber, thinly sliced (a mandoline is ideal)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp caster sugar
How to prepare:
- For the pickles, toss all the ingredients together in a plastic container with 1 tsp sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Place chicken in a shallow ceramic dish and cover with the buttermilk. Marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Half-fill a saucepan with oil and heat to 190C (if you don’t have a kitchen thermometer, a cube of bread will turn golden in 30 seconds).
- Combine flour and cayenne pepper in a bowl and season with salt. Remove chicken from the buttermilk, allowing the excess to drip off, then coat in the flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- In 3 batches, deep-fry the chicken, turning, for 6-8 minutes until golden, crisp and cooked through. Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Spread the mayonnaise generously over the rolls, then fill with the chicken, pickles and salad leaves.
Using a portion of avocado in addition to mayonnaise would make your burger even healthier. Avocadoes contain healthy cholesterols that are essential for your body. You may also opt to use whole wheat flour rather than plain flour which is high in glycemic index. You can also use whole wheat breads rather than regular buns. Since chicken burger patties have to be fried, you can pick among those healthy oils to fry your patties. Adding fresh lettuce and tomatoes would also be a perfect combination as it increases the nutritional value of your burger and is also delicious. This is a perfect recipe for lunch or dinner or in any time of the day you may wish. You can just store the patties in the fridge and fry it by the time you need a healthy meal to enjoy. Hungry? Go and try this recipe now!