Bananas are one of the most nutritious fruits that God has given us. It is considered to be one of the wonders of nature for it has lot of the nutrition that we need in order to maintain a healthy body. Though it had been popular to most of us as a raw fruit to be taken daily, some may not know that aside from being one of the base ingredients in the famous ice cream sundae recipe, it is also delicious if it is to be in a cake or be the main ingredient in a cake. To further introduce you to the wonders that banana can give, here is a banana cake recipe from Peggy Trowbridge named Chocolate Nut Banana Cream Cake a new and unique banana pleasure experience for a health and fitness enthusiast.
Chocolate Nut Banana Cream Cake
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 40 minutes
Total Cooking Time: 1 hour
Approximate Yield: 18 to 36 servings
- Cream Topping:
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup or half of a large 8-ounce block)cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- Banana Cake Batter:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter (8 Tablespoons or 1 stick), at room temperature
- 1-1/4 cups granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 medium ripe bananas, pureed with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup (8 ounces) banana yogurt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, or macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tablespoon milk or cream
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9- x 13-inch baking pan with non-stick foil.
For the Cream Topping:
In a medium mixing bowl, blend together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with a hand mixer. Add the egg and beat until incorporated and smooth. Set aside.
For the Batter:
1.In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar with the butter and vanilla until well-mixed. It will look crumbly. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending completely after each one. Add the bananas and mix until combined.
3. Add the flour mixture and yogurt to the butter mixture, a third at a time, alternating between the two until all is incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts of choice.
4. Pour batter into prepared baking pan and smooth. Drop dollops of the cream cheese topping on top of the banana batter, then smooth to cover.
5. Bake about 35 to 40 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to rack to cool completely to room temperature.
For the Icing:
1. Mix milk or cream with confectioners’ sugar until smooth, adding enough liquid so it can be drizzled.
2. Scrape into a zip-top bag, squeeze out the air, and seal.
3. Snip a small corner from the bottom of the bag and drizzle the icing on top of the banana cake.
3.Let sit at least an hour to set.
1. Sour cream or vanilla yogurt may be substituted for the banana yogurt.
2. If you don’t want to use nuts or chocolate chips, this cake is just as good without them. The icing is also optional or you can simply sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
To use as a Bundt cake: Pour banana batter into a greased and floured 12-cup bundt cake pan. Spread cream topping evenly over banana batter. Bake about 1 hour.
Know that you know the steps in making this recipe, wouldn’t you start to do it in your own kitchen and let your tongue have a new banana experience.