If you are getting bored for your daily snack stuff, here is something delicious and easy to do. Everything is out in the market to be bought. Innovation with this snack is also possible in which you, and your whole family would surely enjoy. This is not only good for snack but can be served in parties and as majority of people I know love cheese, they will surely find this snack irresistible.
Just for you to know, Parmesan cheese is actually called Parmigiano-Reggiano in French. It is widely used in different dishes such as soups, risottos, pizzas or as toppings for pasta or can simply be eaten on its own. There are some cheeses who actually tried to imitate the original Parmigiano-Reggiano which come the name Cheese Parmesan or Parmesan cheese. It provides a strong umami flavor due to the high concentration of glutamates it contains. As it came from milk, it also contains different essential nutrients such as calcium, dietary fiber, protein, and different vitamins and minerals.
What you’ll need:
300 grams starchy potatoes, peeled and sliced into cubes
1 egg yolk
50 grams Parmesan Cheese, grated
2 Tbsp flour
Freshly Ground Peppers
50 grams Bread crumbs
How to make:
- Boil Potato cubes in salt water for 15 minutes until ready. Drain potatoes and mash them thoroughly with a potato masher. Set aside and allow it to cool.
- Add the egg yolk, cheese, flour and chives into the mashed potatoes and mix well. Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Preheat the fryer to 200⁰ Celcius. Mix a bit of oil and bread crumbs and keep stirring until the mixture becomes loose and crumby again.
- Shape the potato dough into 12 croquettes and roll them to the breadcrumbs until they are completely coated.
- Place the croquettes into the frying pan and deep fry for around 4 minutes or until the potato croquettes are crispy brown. Fry the rest and finish the whole 12 croquettes. Place it on a piece of tissue paper or strainer to drain out excess oil.
- Serve and enjoy.
This can normally satisfy around 4 people. But you can actually manipulate this recipe with the size of croquettes you can make. You can even add more cheese or mix it with other cheese to make it cheesier and tastier. You can also replace it with those healthy cheeses such as feta cheese (cheese from goat’s milk), cottage cheese, ricotta and others, though I strongly believe that kids would really enjoy this snack with parmesan or cheddar. It is actually up to you and the persons you want to enjoy this snack with.
Per serving can give you calories of around 235 kcal, 9 grams of protein, 10 grams of fat, 27 grams carbohydrates and 3 grams of fiber. You can team this up with a healthy dip such as cottage cheese, sour cream, garlic dip or anything you can think of. Potato is a food very rich in carbohydrates that can help you satisfy your hunger and boost your energy level and with cheese in it, there is nothing you would actually ask for.