This is basically healthy and easy to do. The basic ingredient for this type of dessert is yogurt. To make it healthy, you have to choose the yogurt you will use. Look at the nutrition label and choose a yogurt that is low in calories, fat, and sugar. It may take a while to find the perfect yogurt for your parfait, but it will be well worth it. This would be a perfect dessert for those who crave for sweets but doesn’t want to risk their health. If you have enough time, you can actually make your home-made yogurt which as I can say is also good since you can choose the milk you want to use. Some opt to go buy ready-made yogurt in the supermarkets due to the uniformity and consistency but it is quite expensive and if you are planning to have parfaits in a party, you would need a lot of yogurt for it will surely be admired by your visitors. With Raspberry-pineapple parfaits, you are sure to enjoy delicious and healthy dessert.
- 2 8-ounce containers (2 cups) nonfat peach yogurt
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries, (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh, frozen or canned pineapple chunks
How to do
1. Select a serving dish. Parfaits were such an important dessert at one point in history that they actually had specialty dishes made for them called parfait glasses. Although not necessary, these long clear glasses make an elegant touch to dessert, as people often eat with their eyes before they eat with their mouths. A tall clear drinking glass or champagne flute also works well. In this recipe, you may need 4 glasses as this can provide you 4 servings.
2. Prepare the fruits. Make sure to wash the fresh fruits you are adding. Layer the fruit and yogurt into the parfait glasses and finish with fruit as the final layer. Top off the dessert with a dollop of low-fat whipped topping and a piece of fruit or a sprinkling of nuts or granola if you desired. This will not only make your parfaits interesting and delicious but it can also make it healthier due to the healthy oils, antioxidants and other nutrients it contain.
3. Keep parfaits chilled in the refrigerator and serve for dessert.
Here are the nutrients that you can actually acquire per serving: 109 calories; 0 grams fat (0 grams saturated fat, 0 grams monounsaturated); 2 milligrams cholesterol; 23 grams carbohydrates; 5 grams protein; 3 grams fiber; 58 milligram sodium; 113 milligrams potassium. Due to the yogurt which comes from milk and the fruits you add you have an added nutritional bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Calcium (15% daily value) per serving.
This is just raspberry-pineapple parfaits. You can actually derive other parfaits with different fruits you may wish to add. Blueberries, strawberries, mangoes, bananas and other fruits you can think of can be added. I think dark chocolate could be good as parfaits and pair it with some almonds and you off to another dessert sensation. The combination of fruits and yogurt is so efficient that it can help you eliminate or prevent health problems such as in digestion, lactose intolerance, osteoporosis, flu, and other problems. Just make sure that what you combine are healthy foods and you’re on for your healthy desserts.