I’m not really fond of baking but I really love cakes. With this recipe, may you be able to appreciate baking the way I did. It was not easy to follow instruction very well but the result was definitely worth the try. The frosting is included here as a bonus in which you can also apply in other cakes as your frosting. Try this and have fun.
3 ½ cups cake flour (the one which is not self-rising)
¾ cups unsalted butter, softened (1 ½ sticks)
2 ½ cups sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
6 Tbsp red food coloring
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ salt
1 ½ cup buttermilk
1 ½ tsp cider vinegar
1 ½ baking soda
1 batch creamy vanilla frosting (also with instructions after the cupcakes)
How to bake:
Preheat the oven to 350⁰ Farenheit. Grease and lightly flour 2 cupcakes pans (total of 24 cupcakes)
To make the batter:
- Sift the cake flour in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk or on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until become very light and fluffy for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red food coloring, cocoa, and vanilla. Add to the batter and beat well.
- In a measuring cup, stir the salt into the buttermilk. Add to the batter in three parts alternating with flour.
- With each addition, beat until the ingredients are well incorporated but be careful not to overbeat.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cider vinegar and baking soda. Add to the batter and mix well.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in a bowl making sure that all the ingredients are well-blended and the batter is smooth.
- Divide the batter into the prepared pans. Arrange the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- Bake the cupcakes in switching positions of the pans halfway through baking until a tester comes out clean which would take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely before applying the frosting.
To make the Creamy Vanilla frosting:
6 Tbsp All-purpose Flour
2 cups milk
2 cups unsalted butter, softened (4 sticks)
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium size saucepan, whisk flour into the milk until smooth.
- Place over the medium heat while stirring constantly. Cook until the mixture becomes thick and begins to bubble which would take around 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter for 3 minutes on the medium high speed of an electric mixer until becomes smooth and creamy.
- Add sugar gradually while constantly beating for three minutes until it becomes fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and beat well.
- Add the cooled milk mixture and continue to beat on the medium high speed for 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes very smooth and becomes whiter in color.
- Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes (no more, no less- set a timer!). Use immediately.
To ice, mound about ¼ cups of frosting on top of each cupcake and use an icing spatula to make a swirl on top. If desired, decorate with colored sprinkles. Serve and enjoy!