Just like the super heroes, they are so great you just can’t have them. These super foods are termed in foods that have high nutritional value which are very essential to one’s health. Though they may not have everything that you may need to your daily diet, but they contribute for your protection against chronic illness by boosting your immune system with nutrients to fight illness. You don’t really have to look on some deep corners of the world because they’re just out there in the supermarkets waiting to be bought. You can check them out later and start enjoying a healthy life with super foods at your hands.
- Apples. As the saying goes, “an apple a day makes the doctor away” is very applicable for apple is actually one of the super foods. Among the 7500 varieties all over the world, each is assured to be packed with antioxidants that prevent cell damages due to free radicals most commonly acquired under sun’s heat. It also contains vitamin C which is good for keeping healthy skin and gums. An apple (regular size) can provides you half of your vitamin C requirement for the day based on your RDA (Recommended Dietary Allowance). It is also high in fiber called pectin that helps in lowering blood cholesterol and is also good for digestion.
- Salmon. Salmon contains good quality protein, vitamins and minerals. The most essential content of salmon is the Omega-3 fatty acids which are considered heart-healthy type of fatty acids. It also reduces blood clotting and inflammation. With the vitamins and minerals, it is considered and efficient brain food that enhances the brain and is also recommended for pregnant mothers in aid for the baby’s brain development.
- Tea. The caffeine content of tea stimulates alertness, mood and motivation. It allows you to extend your energy limit to be able to accomplish more tasks when needed. It also has antioxidants called catechins which protect artery walls from damages that can cause heart diseases or other heart problems.
- Yogurt. Yogurt is a high source for calcium that is essential to keep your bones healthy. For those who cannot digest milk solids such as lactose (lactose intolerant), this is an efficient alternative as the lactose is already converted to lactic acid which gives the yogurt its slight sour taste. It is good for the intestines and relief gastrointestinal problems because of the live good bacteria present in yogurt.
- Banana. Banana has been said to have a high amount of energy making it efficient as energy food for athletes to refuel their body after doing vigorous workouts. It is also rich in phytochemicals which is good to protect cells against free-radicals that can cause cancer and heart diseases. It is also known for the high amount of potassium it contains which is need for your blood.
- Brazil nuts. Same with other nuts, this is also considered a brain food. Brazil nut is high in Selenium that may help protect you against cancer, depression and Alzheimer’s disease. It also contains vitamins, minerals and fiber that are essential for your body.
There are other Super foods such as avocadoes, baked seeds and other fruits and vegetables out there for you to take. Just make sure to balance your diet to be able to provide you with all the nutrients you may need. Now go and let the Super foods save your day.