Let me give you some fast yet nutritious recipe that you can actually try at home. This is very easy to do that you can find the time to mix it despite of your busy schedule. It will only take for as long as 15 minutes to prepare and just another ten minutes to cook. What we are to do are burgers; turkey burgers with beetroot relish which is a good thing because after preparing it, you can just keep it in the fridge and cook it anytime you feel like having yourself a burger for snack (for those heavy eaters) or for lunch or for dinner either which you find appropriate. This is also good for working mothers or simply mothers at home who want to prepare a healthy but fast meals for their kids.
For a dish to be healthy, it should have at most 350 Kcal (less would be better), 20 grams or less total fat and 5 grams or less saturated fat per serving. This recipe could give you 183 Kcal, 30 grams protein, 7 grams carbohydrates, 4 grams fat, 1 gram saturates, 2 grams fiber and 6 grams sugar and 0.5 gram of salt per serving on the average. Serving sizes may differ on how big you wish your patties could be.
What you’ll need:
For the patties
- 500g pack turkey mince
- ½ tsp dried thyme or 2 tsp fresh
- 1 lemon
For the relish
- 250g cooked peeled beetroot (not in vinegar), finely diced
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Little Gem lettuce, to serve
- Whole meal pitta bread, or any whole wheat bread, to serve
How to prepare:
1. Tip turkey into a bowl with the thyme. Finely grate in the zest from the lemon and add a little seasoning. Use your hands to mix the ingredients well. Shape the seasoned ground meat into 4 patties or more depending on your desired size. Chill until ready to cook. Can be frozen for up to 1 month.
2. Mix the beetroot with the juice from ½ the lemon, onion, parsley, oil and mustard. Grill, griddle or barbecue the burgers for about 6 minutes each side and serve with the beetroot relish, lettuce and pitta breads.
The meat can last for a month as long as it is properly frozen and stored in your freezer and you make take it and cook it anytime you may need it. Grilling was the method suggested to cook the burgers as it is healthier and more delicious as compared to frying it which can lead decreasing the nutritional value of the patties due to high fat used to fry burgers. Roasting also contributes a distinct and desirable affect on burgers.
The relish is an add-on to the burger which increases the nutritional value of the whole recipe. Beetroot contains a lot of antioxidants that are good for the body. Other vegetables included in the relish are known to be a great source of vitamins and minerals. The bread could be basically any kind but whole meal pitta bread are suggested if you want to reduce weight and is highly nutritious especially when it is organic.